Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mama's garden



This is the third year I've had my very own garden, and I feel like it is going to be AMAZING!  The house my family lives in once belonged to my grandparents.  My late grandfather was a farmer before my mom was born.  As a teen, back in the 30's, he sold his crops at The Kansas City River Market.  And if his crops didn't produce enough for the demand, he would buy other farmers' crops at discount and sell THEM at the market.  He didn't need the Internet to tell him when to plant.  He didn't even need a Farmer's Almanac.  Until the day he died, he could predict a tornado 12 hours in advance.  He knew all the tricks.

Grandpa didn't continue farming.  He move on to a great job with a great company (I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you).  But, he did continue growing for his family.  He was also a great fisherman, and his success in fishing yielded numerous fish carcasses!  After cleaning, the bones would end up in his garden as fuel for the crops.  His fertile soil is now MY fertile soil!

Every year, my husband tills a portion of Grandpa's old garden.  Every year, it gets a little bigger.  Every year, I add a few new items.  Every year, I harvest the beautiful and abundant tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini.  This year, I have finally taken advantage of the complete square-footage that Grandpa nurtured for 20 years.  This year it will be AMAZING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails